Thursday 19 February 2009

It's curious that we can't possibly tell what exactly will be considered great and important, and what will seem paltry and ridiculous.


Thanks, Gordon Jacob!

See, although generally I'm quite reverent about Art and Literature and things, every so often I can't escape the conclusion that I am a Big Fat Philistine (usually about modern art). Sometimes I'll be sitting there, feeling like I'm missing something. Dickens falls into that category, although that's mostly because I was forced to read Great Expectations in Year 8 and HATED it.

So, The Three Sisters? I'm all ready to be told why it's good (no, seriously, if any of you like it, please tell me why). And I spose I can see that it's a commentary and it's poetic and all sorts (although that's a matter of taste, I personally hate poetic plays that aren't Shakespeare because PEOPLE DON'T TALK LIKE THAT, GOD!). But I was sitting there, and all I could think was ...

IF MOSCOW IS SO SODDING GOOD, BUY A TRAIN TICKET.




Stupid, I know, but there you go.

1 comment:

  1. I've actually heard that about the Tale of Two Cities, and I've got it up in Cam with me this term, I've just been reading other things first. But yes, I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete